How to use Will in English | Learn English with The Bible

Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.
 Jeremiah 17:14

HOW TO USE WILL CORRECTLY 

  1.  We can use “will” to talk about the future. 
  2. We also use will to make predictions, 
  3. To talk about decisions, 
  4. To make promises, offers, requests and threats.
Note: “will” is often abbreviated to ‘ll in spoken English:
“I’ll leave later.”
“He’ll leave later.”

Here are some of the ways we use will:

1. To talk about the future

We can often use “will” + infinitive without “to” to refer to future events. This is often called the “pure” future:
  • I’m busy right now – I’ll call you tomorrow.” 
  • “I’ll be back later tonight – don’t bother making me dinner.”
2. To make predictions

We also use “will” to talk about what we think will happen in the future.
  • “I think it’ll rain tonight.”
  • “I’m sure he’ll be a successful lawyer one day.”

Note: for “negative” predictions, make the “think” negative, not the “will”:

“I don’t think it’ll rain tonight” (Not “I think it won’t rain tonight.”)

3. To make decisions

When we make decisions at the same time as we speak, we use “will”.

For example, in a restaurant:

  • Waiter: “What would you like to eat?”
  • Customer: “I think I’ll have the chicken.”

Other examples:
  • “Look, that’s my bus. I’ll catch up with you later.”
  • “I’m cold. I think I’ll put the heater on.”
4. To make promises, offers, requests and threats

These are some other ways we can use “will” in English.
  • Promises: “I’ll help you with your homework tomorrow.”
  • Offers: “I’ll look after the children for you if you like.”
  • Requests: “Will you tell Tony I called?”
  • Threats: “If you cheat again, I’ll tell the teacher.”

FACTS WE NEED TO KNOW 

We normally use WILL to speak about the future. It is always combined with another verb.
  • Since WILL is classified as a modal verb (like can, would, could, should) it has the same characteristics:
  • It does not change in the third person (i.e. he, she, it)
  • It is always combined with another verb in the base form (i.e. without 'to')
  • We don't use it with 'Do' in questions or negatives.
Examples of Will:
  • I will go to the cinema tonight.
  • He will play tennis tomorrow.
  • She will be happy with her exam results.
  • They will take the bus to the South next week.
When to use WILL

We use WILL in the following circumstances:

1. For things that we decide to do now. (Rapid Decisions)
  • This is when you make a decision at that moment, in a spontaneous way.
  • I'll call a taxi for you.
  • I think we'll go right now. (I just decided this right now)
  • Which one? Um, I will have the chicken sandwich please.

2. When we think or believe something about the future. (Prediction)
  • This can be based on personal judgement or opinion.
  • The President will not be re-elected at the next election.
  • I think it will rain later so take an umbrella with you.
  • I think you will find the movie interesting.

3. For a habit that is a predictable behaviour
  • My daughter will fall asleep as soon as she is put into bed.
  • He will give up if he starts losing. He always does that.
4. You use WON'T when someone refuses to do something.
  • I told him to clean his room but he won't do it.
  • She won't listen to anything I say.

Negative Sentences with WILL

In the negative, we add NOT to the end of WILL and not to the main verb. (= will not)

Examples:

  • I will not be in the office tomorrow. (correct)
  • I will be not in the office tomorrow. (Incorrect)
  • They will not stay here. (correct)
  • They will stay not here. (Incorrect)

THANKS





Comments