Using This,That,These, Those | Learn English with The Bible.

Using This,That,These, Those | Learn English with The Bible. 


This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
1 John 5 :14

This, that, these, those

This, that, these and those are demonstratives. We use this, that, these and those to point to people and things

We use this + a singular verb to talk
about something near.
• We use that + a singular verb to talk
about something far.




this / these                                         that / those
Singular This ••  is a panda.                      
Singular That ---~ is a bear.
Plural These••   are pandas                       Plural Those are bears.

Examples   

  • That water tastes strange.
  • I might get myself a pair of those shoes.
  • Come and look at this.
  • That’s a very good idea.
  • Can I have one of these?




Pointing to things



We use this and that with singular and uncountable nouns:



Try to repeat this exercise every morning and evening. (this + singular countable noun)


What does this music make you think of? (this + singular uncountable noun)

I’ve never been to that part of France. (that + singular countable noun)

Can I have some of that juice, please? (that + singular uncountable noun)

We use these and those with plural nouns:

You can use any one of these computers. (these + plural noun)

I need to paint those windows. (those + plural noun).


Like all determiners, demonstrative determiners come at the beginning of a noun phrase, so they come in front of any adjective(s).


Look at these example sentences:


I like this food.



I use these pens.



I have to do it this morning.


We don't meet these days.

Look at that big cloud.

Can you see those birds?

Do you remember that man we met last week?



to My Youtube Channel to Keep Improving your English. 



Comments