Object Pronouns To sound like a Native! English with The Bible!!

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Psalms 139:23



How to use Object Pronouns To sound like a Native


Object Pronouns

 What is a pronoun?
  • A pronoun is a word that's used in place of a noun or noun phrase, like “he,” “she,” or “it,” in place of “Dusty,” “Carol,” or “the lemur.”
FACTS WE NEED TO KNOW
You can use pronouns instead of repeating someone's name:
  • "Charley went to the store and to Charley's office and then back to Charley's house" becomes 
  • "Charley went to the store and to his office and then back to his house."
In English, we also have object pronouns. These are: me, you, him, her, it, us, them

We use the object pronouns in most situations when the pronoun is not the subject of a verb.

1: We use them for the object of a verb.
  • John knows me.
  • Amanda kissed you.
  • The dog licked him.
  • David hugged her.
  • The teacher dropped it.
  • The children love us.
  • Luke helped them.
2: We use them after a preposition (including after phrasal verbs).
  • It's important to me.
  • Can the children come with you?
  • Look at her!
  • The chocolate is for him.
  • David is looking forward to it.
  • Keep up with us!
  • Lucy works for them.

3: We use them after 'be'. (In very formal English, the subject pronoun is sometimes used here, but this is very old-fashioned and unusual.)
  • Who's there? It's me!
  • It's you.
  • This is her.
  • It was him!
4: We use them with short answers.
  • A: Who's there? B: Me!
  • A: Who ate the cake? B: Him!
  • A: I'm tired. B: Me too.
What are object pronouns?

An object pronoun, also called objective pronoun, functions as the object of a verb or preposition, as distinguished from a subject or subjective pronoun, which is the subject of a verb.

Examples:
  • He begged her to live with him. (her is the object of the verb begged and him is the object of the preposition with)
  • She told them the truth. (them is the object of the verb told)

Object pronouns are used instead of object nouns, usually because we already know what the object is.
  • She's my friend. I really enjoy being with her.
  • I like this film. I saw it last week.
Object pronouns come after either a verb (e.g "like") or a preposition (e.g "to").

Examples:
  • I like you but you don't like me.
  • Do you really hate her?
  • She loves sitting next to him.
  • She always writes e-mails to us.
  • He's talking to her about it.
Me, you, him, her, it, us, you, them object pronouns

To Sum up

Most people are more familiar with subject pronouns than object pronouns. So, take an subject pronoun, and select the appropriate object pronoun:
  • "I" becomes "me,"
  • "You" stays as "you"
  • "he" becomes "him"
  • "she" becomes "her"
  • "it" stays as "it"
  • "they" becomes "them"

Comments